While reading in I Thessalonians 4:9-12, I was thinking about leading a quiet life and how it might relate to running a profitable business.
God says in verses 11 and 12, “that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you, that you may walk properly toward those who are outside, and that you may lack nothing.”~I Thessalonians 4:11-12
Let me break this apart as I see it:
- Paul is writing to the Christians, (those who are believers in and followers of Jesus) in Thessalonica, instructing them to work toward leading a quiet life. In this, I believe he means a life devoted to God, a life in touch with God’s will for each of them individually, a life at peace with others.
- He instructs them to work with their own hands, meaning to do something constructive with the talents God has given them.
- Then he instructs them to “walk properly toward those who are outside.” In this I believe Paul is telling them to show a proper example to those who do not yet know and believe in Jesus, and I believe this applies to how we run our business as well as our personal lives.
- And, the best part of all – for doing these things, for leading our lives in this way, we are promised that we will lack nothing!
Some practical application for business as I see it is to honor God in every aspect of what we do:
- Honor Him in how we promote our business and ourselves.
- Honor Him in how we promote our product or service.
- Honor Him by making sure the product or service we provide is pleasing to Him.
- Honor Him by always edifying others and never putting down another’s business in an effort to make ours look “superior.”
- Honor Him by always remembering the Golden Rule to “do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
- Honor Him by treating everyone equally and fairly.
By conducting business in this way, we set ourselves up for Him to bless us and we surely will lack nothing.
What are your thoughts?